Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My head I hold in my hands.


There is a moment in everyone's life were we come biast. For me I was the age of 8. I grew up in a well off family, one that will go to all length's to hide any type of negativity that will be brought upon the family name. Pethetic I know.... So at the age of 8 I was introduced to a family member that didnt appear to be like the rest of my family. He was anorexic looking and filthy, his clothes had holes in them and from the moment I met him I knew something was off. He stayed with my family for 3 days, and left almost suddenly... I remember asking my parents why that man was like that and they told me that he was homeless. HOMELESS... how the hell does someone become homeless. I didnt understand, my family could afford to assist him, yet he refused. I figured it was a Pride issue, I believed that people that were homeless were homeless because they chose to live that way and not except any assistance. So that's what I believed for many years.... My first year of College I needed to get some community service in for my course. I was offered a position at one of the city's Out of the cold programs (this program feeds the homeless) so I decided to try it out and get my hours. My first day I walked into the church and was overwelmed with the worst stench I have ever experienced. It was horrible... the people were dirty and it seemed they havent showered for months, to tell you the truth I was disgusted. I looked up the stairs and I seen the people filing in the room, my disgusted pethetic self took a complete 180' turn.
My heart bled for these people walking in the room. There were elders and children and I was speechless.
One gentlman in particular, 80 years old, feet sticking out of his old worn shoes, his clothes barly fitting him. I remember thinking to myself that I could not even possibly imagine living my entire life for this, to be humiliated by comming and recieving a free meal, just to survive.
I was on the borderline of tears..... And for me to cry, and become emotional.. it's unherd of...
I went home that day, and for the first time in my life I truly appreciated what I had, I looked at the meal in front of me and I was thankful. The million articles of clothing I had on my shelves and for the walls that surronded me. I was thankful for it all. I have been volunteering at this progam ever since, it has been 3 years, and I will continue this for the rest of my life. I have herd and seen first hand their stories and their lives. It is so heartbreaking sometimes. Here are some of their stories:
One women told me that she was a businesswomen when her child died at a young age, she turned to cocaine and she lost everything. Another man told me he had been hooked on herion since the age of 12 when he was sexually assulted by his unlce.
The others are either hooked on some type of drug or in 99% of the cases , Mental Health is the main issue. Somethings that were beyond choice.
Everyone has a story and if you take the time to listen, you will learn and appreciate life a little more. I went from being the exact duplicate of that spoiled little rich girl in charlie and the chocloate factory to dedicating my life to these people... < For a second in your life if you see someone sitting on the side of the road begging for change or witnessing a so called "crazy" person in the street dont judge, you no nothing from were they came from, what their life has dealt them. In the end you will be ashamed and live a cold pethetic life, masked by the reality you choose to ignore.

No comments: